History of Lancot
Why do we have a swan as our school emblem?
The Dunstable Swan Jewel was found in 1965 during excavations by Manshead Archaeological Society in Friary Field.
Friary Field was the site of a Dominican Priory between 1259 and 1538.
When it was found it became the property of the landowner who then put it up for auction at Sotherby’s in March 1966, it was sold to a New York Museum for £4,800.
But it couldn’t be taken out of England and thanks to funding it was bought by The British Museum.
It is on display at The British Museum in the Medieval Europe, Room 40.
The Swan Jewel is 3.30cm high and 3.50cm wide without the chain.
The Swan Jewel is dated as Medieval around AD1400 and could come from France or England.
If you are interested in reading more about the Swan Jewel there is a book called” The Dunstable Swan Jewel” by Vivienne Evans, she mentions that “Lancot Lower School has adopted the swan emblem for its school badge”.
We found out that in Heraldry the patterns and pictures on shields had meanings and that the swan symbolises a good learner
We found this out from https://medievaldunstable.org.uk/educationhouse.html
Lancot County Primary School was built in 1969.